Virtue and Fire

The other day I watched Sleeping Beauty for the first time (deprived child). I like fairy tales and Disney's are pretty much amazing. Every girl dreams of being a Disney princess. Really, I don't think we ever grow out of it. We convince ourselves that we do, but we don't.
Anyway, that's not why I mentioned Sleeping Beauty. The thing that struck me most about the movie was the little bit of symbolism. The good fairies gave Prince Philip a "Sword of Truth" and a "Shield of Virtue". Wow! Disney or any other film maker wouldn't dare put that in a movie nowadays. Why? Because it wouldn't sell and it would offend the world. Isn't that sad?
My favorite shot of the movie (besides the whole changing of the dress color) was when he held up his shield of virtue against the dragon's fire. Think of that symbolically. He held onto his standards against the wickedness of the world. Isn't that what we've been called to do? Aren't we all "Guardians of Virtue"?
As Sister Elaine S. Dalton has said, "Virtue is a word we don’t hear often in today’s society, but the Latin root word virtus means strength." My mom--after Sister Dibb said to circle the words "For" and "You" on the cover of the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet--told me that she underlined the words "For" and "Strength". Both of those are true. The standards are for the you, but they are also for strength. If we keep those standards in our everyday lives we have the strength to keep ourselves from being burned by the immorality and wickedness of the world.

Anyway, now for Fire:Yesterday, for Mutual, the Young Women and Young Men in my ward did roadside cleanup. It's probably one of the funnest activities we have every year, if you're with the right people (and if you have gloves). It's amazing how fast you can get the work done with a lot of people.To add to the activity, we have refreshments and a game or two afterwards. This year we had a bonfire and donuts (and a dried up pond).So, as usual, I had to take pictures of the fire, cause it always looks so cool!
I think I'm a pyromaniac...maybe...

Comments