I'm here, I'm there, and I'm constantly lost. What am I?


Can I just say... YES! Finally! This is my kind of wrapper. Had an amazing mutual activity last night on the standards and this was taped to a paper on friends and "treating" your friends with respect...but seriously?! "A wrapper you can write on"? It made my day.

What's this? Well, I was just looking through on old binder of mine and these literally fell into my lap. I wrote these when I was 13 (and don't ask if my drawing has improved...cause it hasn't. I think my handwriting has...hopefully!), put them in my binder (which is now a bit of a crazy mess), and forgot about them. 
The entries are typical, except for the dragons: "Notes: Some peaceful farmers, like to be in charge, very wise"...Yeah, I like dragons. I don't know if fairies are typically like my description though--if you don't count Disney fairies considering we did this long before I learned about Disney Fairies. You see, I had these two wonderful friends, who moved away about the time I wrote these. We were FFFs (Forever Fairy Friends) and pretended to be fairies, each of us having a different power. I was Rainia, a water fairy; Brianna was Flamiair, a fire fairy; and Christina was Emerald, a nature fairy. Good times!
Anyway! The funniest entry was the gargoyles (at least in my opinion), so I'm going to share it with you. Just warning you, I'm not going to correct my spelling, and I wasn't much of a wiz at it then (as if I am now).
 Gargoyals 
Main role-- to get you intimadated and scared
What they do-- first they get make a scary noise then, if that didn't work, they make a scary face, and so one
What you are supposed to do to counter-attack-- scarye them. try to get a scaryier face, noise, and so one

It's really funny if you picture such a meeting in you mind. Making faces at a stone gargoyle!
Yep, I'm crazy. Now lets move one (on...ugh! 13 year-old self is getting to me now).

Happy "national poem in your pocket" day. So, I'm going to share a couple of poems.
"I said it in Hebrew--I said it in Dutch--
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!"
                          --An excerpt from Lewis Carroll's "epic" poem 'The Hunting of the Snark'

"I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us--don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!"
                     --Emily Dickensen's poem about being "nobody" in society's eyes
Since riddles sort of go with poems, I'm going to include several riddles, and of course, I'm not giving you the answers (well, okay, I suppose I can put them in the comments).

Sometimes you meet me in the road,
But every day you eat with me.
What am I?
(my dad created this one. If you get it within twenty minutes, don't tell me. I think I took an hour with it.)

Poor men have it,
Rich men want it,
And if you eat it
You will die.
(a very old one)

In some hands I'm a weapon,
In other I'm useful,
But in God's hands I'm beautiful.
What am I?
(my attempt, with help from my mom)

What is it -- the more you take,
The more you leave behind?
(from classical kids' 'Song of the Unicorn')

What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?
(from J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit')

And now, for the real challenge. An old Anglo-Saxon riddle I found in book of my dad's. (He gets a bit annoyed with me cause I'm constantly taking books from his office, only to turn around and give it back to him because I don't have time to read it.) 
Good luck, cause you'll need it.

"Four curious creatures I beheld travelling together; swarth, were their tracks, their marks black. The support of the swift ones was quick in its course; it flew in the air, dived under the wave. Restlessly suffered the struggling warrior who points their paths to all four over the rich gold."

Comments

  1. Answers:
    Title: "Random", considering this post is very much so. And yes, I know it's poorly written, but the silly thing needed a title.

    My Dad's: "A Fork". Don't riddles have the remarkable ability to make you feel absolutely stupid? Especially after spending an hour on it.

    Old One: "Nothing". I'm sorry.

    I realize that my type goes strangely smaller at that point. Technical difficulties. Also, if you also compare the color to all of the type colors around it, you'll find that it's white instead of tan. Ridiculous Blogger changed their whole dashboard thing and "create a post" area and I don't like change when I'm used to something. So I'm constantly getting myself into problems with it.
    Anyway, you're wanting the rest of the answers...

    Mine: "A bow". (Bow, hair bow, and rainbow.)

    Song of the Unicorn: "Footsteps".

    Hobbit: "A mountain".

    And now!
    Anglo-Saxon: "Pen and Fingers"
    The explanation in the book goes as follows:
    "The four creatures are the thumb, two fingers, and pen, which once had supported the swift bird and now was dipped in the ink. The 'struggling warrior' is the arm and the 'rich gold' may refer either to the gold of the ink-pot or to the the illuminated page of the manuscript."
    Talk about complex!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment