Do you love your world?
J. R. R. Tolkien created Middle-Earth, an amazing world that seems so real we've all pretty much dreamed of going there...and he wasn't the only one. There's C. S. Lewis's Narnia, which I've already vaguely talked about, or Harry Potter's Hogwarts (and that one's even in our world). Many of you could probably name a handful of others, but I'll just let you think of those.
There are so many beautiful, rich worlds out there which you can enter just by opening a book.
This is the magic of fiction, but many people have also found ways of expressing the beauty of our world: artists in paintings, photographers in photos, writers in books, dancers in movement, poets in words, and musicians in music. Every where we go there is splendor in nature if we open our eyes. There's the complexities of humans and their personalities. And even the new discoveries (can't believe I'm saying this, considering how old-fashioned I am) in technology over the century can manifest the wonder of our world.
Today I was thinking about this and I realized that people have to love their world and their talents; every day we either love life and our world or we find ways to remember to love them. Tolkien loved Middle-Earth, its people, and its lore. It all takes love.
And that's what's been my problem (in other words, why I've had a hard time writing these past few months). I just don't love my worlds as much as I should and need to in order to fix them.
Notice, I didn't say I don't love my book ideas. I do love my ideas and the possibilities, but as long as I have troubles creating my worlds and loving those I won't be able to discover, in depth, the beliefs, the dreams, and the "realness" of my characters.
Aren't we all part of who we are by the world around us? The terrain, the population, the religions, the cultures, the stories, and the history. They, and so much more, influence us all of the time. My characters have their worlds, but if I don't know that world, how will I be able to fully understand my characters?
All writers create their stories differently, and I think I'm going to try a new way. I'm going to go world-building.
Lately my posts have been a bit scatterbrained and random, but I hope this one is better...
There are so many beautiful, rich worlds out there which you can enter just by opening a book.
This is the magic of fiction, but many people have also found ways of expressing the beauty of our world: artists in paintings, photographers in photos, writers in books, dancers in movement, poets in words, and musicians in music. Every where we go there is splendor in nature if we open our eyes. There's the complexities of humans and their personalities. And even the new discoveries (can't believe I'm saying this, considering how old-fashioned I am) in technology over the century can manifest the wonder of our world.
Today I was thinking about this and I realized that people have to love their world and their talents; every day we either love life and our world or we find ways to remember to love them. Tolkien loved Middle-Earth, its people, and its lore. It all takes love.
And that's what's been my problem (in other words, why I've had a hard time writing these past few months). I just don't love my worlds as much as I should and need to in order to fix them.
Notice, I didn't say I don't love my book ideas. I do love my ideas and the possibilities, but as long as I have troubles creating my worlds and loving those I won't be able to discover, in depth, the beliefs, the dreams, and the "realness" of my characters.
Aren't we all part of who we are by the world around us? The terrain, the population, the religions, the cultures, the stories, and the history. They, and so much more, influence us all of the time. My characters have their worlds, but if I don't know that world, how will I be able to fully understand my characters?
All writers create their stories differently, and I think I'm going to try a new way. I'm going to go world-building.
Lately my posts have been a bit scatterbrained and random, but I hope this one is better...
Comments
Post a Comment