The Scarlet Pimpernel!

Watched it (1982 version), for the first time in my memory, last night and it has some of the best lines:

"I can't decided if you're mad or..."
"Desperately in love? 'Tis all the same."

"You are too fast."
"My heart dictates the pace."

"For such an invitation I will make myself free."

"The only power I see at present, mademoiselle, is the power of your beauty."
"Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, Sir Percy."
"This beholder is enchanted."

"I knew that your tears would be the worst possible torture."

"Ceased? I shall love her to the day I die. That is the tragedy."

"You must tell me all about yourself, in every detail. But oh, so slowly, so very slowly, so that it takes a very, very long time."

"Let that be a lesson to you, sir. Never take anyone for granted."

"My dear chap, I never would have dreamt of depriving you of your moment of triumph. Alas, a moment was all I could spare."

"Sink me! The lady's a poet."

Marguerite:
"The man I fell in love with still exits somewhere. I shall never stop loving him."

"Is that all you can think about? Why aren't you the kind of man a woman can look up to, and turn to in trouble?"
"Trouble, m'dear? Are you...in trouble?"


For the most part Sir Percy seems so unreal when he's not saving the day, but you think you can stand it until he starts to act that way towards Marguerite. Then his facade is just sad, because you know it's all misunderstandings. As you watch the movie, the real, open, honest look in his eyes when he betrays his feelings, his love, and his true self is sweeter than that fearful facade.
What really struck home with me, however, is that this is sometimes the case in real life. Sometimes we hide ourselves behind another personality around certain people, a being that's not our true self, and sometimes it's so hard for others to see the true you behind the facade. The Scarlet Pimpernel vs. the fool...
I felt terribly sad for the poor little Dauphin throughout the movie though. No little boy, prince or not, should be treated like that. And all of the other aristocrats! No matter what arrogant crimes they may have done, it is horrific that the whole Reign of Terror should have taken place. Why, just by studying the Old Testament in seminary made me grateful for living in a little less barbaric civilization...until I learn of the horrors of the French Revolution, the Holocaust, and the world we live in now. When, oh when will Zion come forth?
Anyway...the movie does have an awesome sword fight!

I mean, the buttons! Can Chauvelin seriously think he can beat that?
Last but not least, may I add that the disguises are awesome?

Comments

  1. This is not a review of the movie, just my thoughts on it and other things. Also, forgive any spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Greek for "Sink me!" is: καταδύνε με.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.P.S in Greek, what looks like v is actually n...

    ReplyDelete
  4. sink me! this is one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE movies! it has some of the best one-liners.

    my favorite of which is, "...this beholder is enchanted." *dreamy sigh*

    -j fullmer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment