Keeping a Sure and Steady Pace
Well, first off...
I love the wind and the rain we've had today. With a strong wind blowing at my back, I feel as if it can lift me up and teach me to fly.
But...here's a little bit of Spring from Utah on a very sunny Saturday:

(That last picture I did just because my phone has an awesome camera...and that's pretty much what I use it for.)
I love Eastern Idaho, but mountains are very fascinating things. They beg to be in a book of mine...which they'd be if they would only help me a bit more. The things are gigantic! How am I suppose to fit one of them in if they're going to be so stubbornly unmovable?
Now, on this aspect I'm a little biased: Idaho sunsets are stunning, but this picture from my aunt's back porch is beautiful. I especially like the empty chairs.
The only picture I took at the Capital Theater--where I saw Beauty and the Beast, which was fantastic--that turned out well. I'm a little obsessed with taking pictures of chandeliers, tombstones, fire, and flowers...the flowers are the most noticeable though. (Really, try wading through hundreds of pictures of flowers in Europe. It's not my fault Western America is faulty.)

Those last two are from the new City Creek mall in Salt Lake. It was very busy, being the second day it was open. In that first picture, the retractable glass roof goes over the corridor looking part, not over the courtyard. The best part was the Deseret Book store--one of my favorite stores--on the corner there in the latter, where my mom and I ran into a few friends. It's always fun to run into people you know in a big city far from home.
You may have noticed that half of the time I only refer to the title of my posts at the end of them. Why? "I'll tell you...I don't know. But it is a tradition." (By the way, my favorite song from The Fiddler on the Roof is 'Sunrise, Sunset', if any of you cared.)
The ironic thing about this post is that it's bit of a mess, going here, there, and everywhere, and yet the title is about keeping steady and focused. Oh well!
My mom put on a brave face and let me drive home, since I have to get used to Utah driving sometime. Well, as usual, I came up with a metaphor for life from the experience.
Through all of the cities and traffic, until Farmington, I kept to the same lane and the same speed, not so fast that I'm passing everyone, but not so slow that everyone's passing me. The road would change, and yet, no matter how the road curved or changed, I stayed in the same lane. For the most part people would pass me and would change lanes a lot, but I didn't let that affect me (unless of course I had to change to avoid catastrophe, which, being in the middle lane, was rare).
How is this a metaphor?
We all have our roads in life, as I said in a previous post, but we should never let pressure, or peers, or even the changes in the road--if it is the right one--change our course and change who we are. We all have a destination and we all have a road or lane to take us there. Sometimes it gets rough and we're tempted to change lanes or even take an exit. Sometimes the people on the same road as us go from one lane or another, speeding past us. We can never give in, even if it seems perfectly harmless to change lanes or to speed up a little. We have our straight and narrow, and the best thing to do is keep on that road, even if we do it alone.
Never give in, keep true, and know where your destination is.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -Winston Churchill October 1941
I love the wind and the rain we've had today. With a strong wind blowing at my back, I feel as if it can lift me up and teach me to fly.
But...here's a little bit of Spring from Utah on a very sunny Saturday:

(That last picture I did just because my phone has an awesome camera...and that's pretty much what I use it for.)I love Eastern Idaho, but mountains are very fascinating things. They beg to be in a book of mine...which they'd be if they would only help me a bit more. The things are gigantic! How am I suppose to fit one of them in if they're going to be so stubbornly unmovable?
Now, on this aspect I'm a little biased: Idaho sunsets are stunning, but this picture from my aunt's back porch is beautiful. I especially like the empty chairs.
The only picture I took at the Capital Theater--where I saw Beauty and the Beast, which was fantastic--that turned out well. I'm a little obsessed with taking pictures of chandeliers, tombstones, fire, and flowers...the flowers are the most noticeable though. (Really, try wading through hundreds of pictures of flowers in Europe. It's not my fault Western America is faulty.)

Those last two are from the new City Creek mall in Salt Lake. It was very busy, being the second day it was open. In that first picture, the retractable glass roof goes over the corridor looking part, not over the courtyard. The best part was the Deseret Book store--one of my favorite stores--on the corner there in the latter, where my mom and I ran into a few friends. It's always fun to run into people you know in a big city far from home.You may have noticed that half of the time I only refer to the title of my posts at the end of them. Why? "I'll tell you...I don't know. But it is a tradition." (By the way, my favorite song from The Fiddler on the Roof is 'Sunrise, Sunset', if any of you cared.)
The ironic thing about this post is that it's bit of a mess, going here, there, and everywhere, and yet the title is about keeping steady and focused. Oh well!
My mom put on a brave face and let me drive home, since I have to get used to Utah driving sometime. Well, as usual, I came up with a metaphor for life from the experience.
Through all of the cities and traffic, until Farmington, I kept to the same lane and the same speed, not so fast that I'm passing everyone, but not so slow that everyone's passing me. The road would change, and yet, no matter how the road curved or changed, I stayed in the same lane. For the most part people would pass me and would change lanes a lot, but I didn't let that affect me (unless of course I had to change to avoid catastrophe, which, being in the middle lane, was rare).
How is this a metaphor?
We all have our roads in life, as I said in a previous post, but we should never let pressure, or peers, or even the changes in the road--if it is the right one--change our course and change who we are. We all have a destination and we all have a road or lane to take us there. Sometimes it gets rough and we're tempted to change lanes or even take an exit. Sometimes the people on the same road as us go from one lane or another, speeding past us. We can never give in, even if it seems perfectly harmless to change lanes or to speed up a little. We have our straight and narrow, and the best thing to do is keep on that road, even if we do it alone.
Never give in, keep true, and know where your destination is.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." -Winston Churchill October 1941
Comments
Post a Comment