Balls, Princes, Princesses, and a Dog named Pig
Well, for now I've given up on my first writing goal of the summer: Rewriting Rowena. Halfway through, it got to complicated. Fortunately I got a head start, and I have spots which need to be filled in with dialogue...if I get bored someday.
So, I'm 100% in my second summer writing goal: Finishing Clare.
What's really weird is when you spent about six hours yesterday either typing up what you've already written or writing where you left off and pretty soon, when you are in company talking to people, you have to be constantly reminding yourself that you are not Clare and you are not in a palace.
It's also strange how, as I let my characters develop themselves, little bits of me come out in them. I'll reread what I've written and say, "I'd do that", or I'll be writing and suddenly something that's happened to me starts forming itself into words, fitting perfectly in my story.
It's even stranger when you start writing a character's dialogue and you realize that that character's dialogue is very much like something someone you know would say, even when you most certainly didn't mean that to happen.
These are just my writing thoughts for the day. If any of you start showing up in my characters, I'll be sure it's a nice character.
Tah tah for now!
Oh, and if you come across a small golden dog who answers only to Pig, my character, Clare, is looking for him and she really can't be late for the ball tonight.
So, I'm 100% in my second summer writing goal: Finishing Clare.
What's really weird is when you spent about six hours yesterday either typing up what you've already written or writing where you left off and pretty soon, when you are in company talking to people, you have to be constantly reminding yourself that you are not Clare and you are not in a palace.
It's also strange how, as I let my characters develop themselves, little bits of me come out in them. I'll reread what I've written and say, "I'd do that", or I'll be writing and suddenly something that's happened to me starts forming itself into words, fitting perfectly in my story.
It's even stranger when you start writing a character's dialogue and you realize that that character's dialogue is very much like something someone you know would say, even when you most certainly didn't mean that to happen.
These are just my writing thoughts for the day. If any of you start showing up in my characters, I'll be sure it's a nice character.
Tah tah for now!
Oh, and if you come across a small golden dog who answers only to Pig, my character, Clare, is looking for him and she really can't be late for the ball tonight.
some of my best friends are books. and sometimes, after reading a particularly engaging book, i'll find myself, in the course of my day, wondering what the different characters are doing 'right now'. so i was wondering, as a writer, do you find yourself wondering what your characters are doing at a particular moment, as if they're alive in someplace other than your head and paper?
ReplyDelete-j fullmer