Contemplating Life--A Poem

I have mentioned this, but I decided to try doing a life history for my grandmother. Well, knowing that it isn't that easy, I decided to start with a blog, on which I scan and type up documents so that they're available to the family. Not much of my dad's family has gotten involved, but on my part, I am coming to know my Grandma Beth better, and she is a wonderful role model for me.

Today I was going through things and I found a letter written to her parents by a relative, and included was a poem that I thought sort of fit with my previous post and the post coming up. So here it is:

 Time Teaches Many Lessons.
As Time in its flight rolls onward
And leaves the Past behind
There is much that I counted sorrow
But proves that God is kind.
There is many a flower I longed for
Had a hidden thorn of pain.
And many a rugged by-path
Led me to fields of ripened grain.
The clouds but cover the sunshine
They cannot banish the sun
For the sun shines out the brighter
When the weary rains are done.
We must stand in the darkest sorrow
To see the purest light,
And oft from wrong's own darkness
Comes the very strength of right.
We must live thru the weary winter
If we could but value the Spring
And the woods must be cold and silent
Before the robins sing.
The flowers must be buried in darkness
Before they can blossom and bloom,
For the sweetest and warmest sunshine
Comes after the storm and the gloom.
The heart in its hardest trials
Gains the purest joy of all,
And from lips that have tasted sadness
The sweetest songs may fall.
For peace comes after the suffering
And love is the reward of pain,
So after earth comes Heaven
And out of our loss, our gain.
(author unknown)

Don't you just love old fashioned handwriting? >

Comments

  1. Beautiful poem.

    "Each heartfelt prayer, each Church meeting attended, each worthy friend, each righteous decision, each act of service perfomed all precede that goal of eternal life."--- Thomas S. Monson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment