Ether 12:27
Last night I opened my scriptures to this very familiar and much used scripture. It is one of my favorites.
I began to study it word for word and was surprised how much the first half of the scripture made an impression on me. I typically notice the last half: the promise that, if we are humble and have faith, God will strengthen our weaknesses. That's the part we hear whenever someone in church or seminary references this scripture, and though we know the beginning, I've never heard it deeply discussed, or at least I never understood it or something.
"If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble;"
This first part is all about humility. For one thing, we have to have the humility to turn to Him and accept our weaknesses, that is when our weaknesses make us humble. We realize that God is perfect, but that He is also on our side and will do anything for us; that is when awe and humility kick in.
"and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me;"
The promise, and what a promise it is. It takes a lot of humility and faith to turn to the Lord sometimes, but when we do, He is there, He is accepting, and His grace and atonement is sufficient for all men. No matter where we are at on the scale of perfection, His grace is sufficient.
Now for the last part, the second promise: "for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
What a remarkable scripture. I am grateful for it, and I know it is the truth, no matter what.
Beautiful scripture. Love what you said about it. The only thing I can say is amen. Great job Katherine.
ReplyDelete