Politics for a Very Unpolitical Being
I don't really do politics...the whole ways of government don't really make sense to me...but sometimes things tend to hit me on the wrong side. That's when I start talking to myself (a quarter of the time I spend talking to myself is when I'm frustrated with someone or something).
I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln today:
"The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot do so well do for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do for themselves, government ought not to interfere."
I really loved that last line: "But in all that people can individually do for themselves, government ought not to interfere." (Italics are my own touch). The book I read this quote out of started to explain it, but through that whole explanation it did not mention once that last, and very key, line.
It sure seems like it's interfering sometimes. I hear of cases made against homeschoolers...cases trying to make homeschooling illegal. Well, people are able to teach their children, it is in their ability. So, government can offer public schools for the convenience of the parents, but it shouldn't be made a law that their children have to attend a public school.
Government is supposed to provide public services...but sometimes the ultimate service (in other ways, not just homeschooling) is to not interfere when the people can do it themselves. It's the whole, "it's better to teach the man how to fish, instead of just giving him one" principle.
I like a good, just government. I like it how we are free, and yet we have laws that make us even more free...that's a government founded on principles and the wisdom of the founding fathers. I just have faith that it will stay that way, so I don't have to really worry about politics.
That's my political thoughts for the year. Cheerio!
I read a quote by Abraham Lincoln today:
"The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot do so well do for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do for themselves, government ought not to interfere."
I really loved that last line: "But in all that people can individually do for themselves, government ought not to interfere." (Italics are my own touch). The book I read this quote out of started to explain it, but through that whole explanation it did not mention once that last, and very key, line.
It sure seems like it's interfering sometimes. I hear of cases made against homeschoolers...cases trying to make homeschooling illegal. Well, people are able to teach their children, it is in their ability. So, government can offer public schools for the convenience of the parents, but it shouldn't be made a law that their children have to attend a public school.
Government is supposed to provide public services...but sometimes the ultimate service (in other ways, not just homeschooling) is to not interfere when the people can do it themselves. It's the whole, "it's better to teach the man how to fish, instead of just giving him one" principle.
I like a good, just government. I like it how we are free, and yet we have laws that make us even more free...that's a government founded on principles and the wisdom of the founding fathers. I just have faith that it will stay that way, so I don't have to really worry about politics.
That's my political thoughts for the year. Cheerio!
Wow again! I'm "totally" impressed. Great essay! Love ya, Mom
ReplyDeleteGreat insight here Katherine! Sometimes folks are told that they can't do for themselves; that government is their only hope or solution. They are taught to rely on someone else for their sustenance. I'm thrilled to see that you understand the principles of freedom - for the cost of freedom is great. But the cost of imprisonment is a sad lot for men - it steals away their freedom and their gains. Thomas Jefferson stated so aptly, "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." Please don't worry about politics Katherine, but pray for those who have powers to control. BTW...I love your blog!
ReplyDelete