"Not the beard!" (Name that movie)
As I said in a few posts down, I have decided to go world building, completely putting Clare aside. I haven't been writing much at all, which is really sad, but I'm happy to be working on this instead of groaning over my other book ideas.
So, what is it about stereotypes? We hear dragons and we think of terrible creatures killing poor helpless princesses who just stand there screaming and crying. Sheesh! And this is only one example.
Dragons. A lot of writers have explored their realm, giving them a better side than they've had for centuries. They're creatures, just like your pet dog, or the cat next door. Of course you don't want to get on their bad side, but what's wrong with them other than that?
And the princess. I am not feminist, thinking that girls need to take charge because the boys are idiots. No thank you. They are perfectly capable to take on the responsibilities (though sometimes they do need to step up to the plate nowadays) and several are very kind and smart. But, I don't think the opinion that has lasted throughout the centuries that girls are pathetic and weak is true either. Both girls and boys are strong, smart (if they'd let themselves be), and able to take out dragons. However, if both the dragons and the princesses are good, than you don't have a problem in the first place.
Then there is the generally accepted belief that dwarves are aggressive. I am not going against Tolkien. I like his dwarves. The fact is that other writers find it hard to write their dwarves being otherwise because everyone pretty much agrees that dwarves are aggressive.
In my world, I've been trying to go against stereotypes (even though they generally work and were brilliant--like middle earth--in the first place). The humans and the dwarves are the ones who have a hard time getting along, not the dwarves and the elves, because both humans and dwarves lack the magic that the other beings have, so, with that similarity, they find themselves on edge with each other a lot. Also, instead of the dwarves working with metals and jewels, the humans do, and the dwarves work with records and wool (sheep). Dragons tend to keep to themselves. You don't want to get them frustrated, but they're, for the most part, peaceful, and if you're a Fire Soul than you are their immediate best friend.
Despite my frequent writers block, I am, at present, writing a record of the reign of Boric, king of the dwarves. And am enjoying it, for the most part.
Shortly after I decided to try writing this world, I drew a map. I'm pretty bad with drawing, so it usually ends up being a bunch of scribbles and notes scrawled in my smallest handwriting. In the car, I pulled it out and showed it to my mom at a stop light. "Mom, does this look like a realistic world?" She laughed, took it from my hand and showed it to me, repeating my question. The fact is, I should have asked if she thought the shape and terrain could be realistic. Asking if all of my scribbles looked realistic wasn't the best question. But we needed the laugh.
So, what is it about stereotypes? We hear dragons and we think of terrible creatures killing poor helpless princesses who just stand there screaming and crying. Sheesh! And this is only one example.
Dragons. A lot of writers have explored their realm, giving them a better side than they've had for centuries. They're creatures, just like your pet dog, or the cat next door. Of course you don't want to get on their bad side, but what's wrong with them other than that?
And the princess. I am not feminist, thinking that girls need to take charge because the boys are idiots. No thank you. They are perfectly capable to take on the responsibilities (though sometimes they do need to step up to the plate nowadays) and several are very kind and smart. But, I don't think the opinion that has lasted throughout the centuries that girls are pathetic and weak is true either. Both girls and boys are strong, smart (if they'd let themselves be), and able to take out dragons. However, if both the dragons and the princesses are good, than you don't have a problem in the first place.
Then there is the generally accepted belief that dwarves are aggressive. I am not going against Tolkien. I like his dwarves. The fact is that other writers find it hard to write their dwarves being otherwise because everyone pretty much agrees that dwarves are aggressive.
In my world, I've been trying to go against stereotypes (even though they generally work and were brilliant--like middle earth--in the first place). The humans and the dwarves are the ones who have a hard time getting along, not the dwarves and the elves, because both humans and dwarves lack the magic that the other beings have, so, with that similarity, they find themselves on edge with each other a lot. Also, instead of the dwarves working with metals and jewels, the humans do, and the dwarves work with records and wool (sheep). Dragons tend to keep to themselves. You don't want to get them frustrated, but they're, for the most part, peaceful, and if you're a Fire Soul than you are their immediate best friend.
Despite my frequent writers block, I am, at present, writing a record of the reign of Boric, king of the dwarves. And am enjoying it, for the most part.
Shortly after I decided to try writing this world, I drew a map. I'm pretty bad with drawing, so it usually ends up being a bunch of scribbles and notes scrawled in my smallest handwriting. In the car, I pulled it out and showed it to my mom at a stop light. "Mom, does this look like a realistic world?" She laughed, took it from my hand and showed it to me, repeating my question. The fact is, I should have asked if she thought the shape and terrain could be realistic. Asking if all of my scribbles looked realistic wasn't the best question. But we needed the laugh.
Fellowship of the Rings. When they are fleeing the orcs in Moria.
ReplyDeleteThere have been a couple of movies where dragons weren't eating maidens. One Dragonheart and the other was Eregon, although the dragon used more as a steed than actually having a personality. I've only read the first book so I don't know if the dragons character was developed in the later books.
ReplyDeleteI'm still reading your posts. :)
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your post on facebook, I believe a hero is humble and gives like our Savior gave for others. Sure we see people perform brave things say in combat or saving a life but you look at what they have done to earn that status and they gave as our Savior did. And if you notice they are humble about their deed. A hero/herione can be a parent, who gives for their family. To me that is being a her/herione. OK ok, I'm off my soapbox now.
Yes I'm a little chatty tonight. :)
ReplyDelete:) thanks for the comments! I really enjoy them! and seriously, it's about time someone besides myself is chatty.
ReplyDeleteYour Aunt Patricia is doing good. I'm sure Kenneth and Myra have been by or even spending the night. I hear you did excellent on your tests. Will you be starting college this fall? So, what are you going to do this summer? I don't know if Aunt Patricia has mentioned this but we would love to have you come down for Ed week down here at BYU. Yes, I know they have Ed week up there also. Your more than welcome to attend down here also. You have a nice evening and we'll see ya around Fathers Day.
ReplyDeleteKenneth and Myra have made it back all right. Patricia and I went to the nursery and bought some flowers to put in our planters on the deck. I mowed the yard today. Kind of busy today. We are going to plant the flowers tomorrow. I've also got some work to do in the garden. You have a nice evening and I'll talk to ya later.
ReplyDeleteGetting better at this posting stuff. :)
ReplyDeleteAnother answer to your facebook question and in a way the same answer. I think a hero, no matter wether it's someone who has won a medal for heroism or a parent. It's what our Savior did for us and that was sacrifice. Our Savior sacrificed himself for all of us. A person who has won a medal for heroism sacrificed his life or if they lived, they still sacrificed themselves for others. Then, there is the people we don't hear about and that's our parents. They sacrifice themselves not only for their children but for the family. So, to me, it comes down to one word sacrifice.
ReplyDelete