Writing is...painful.

"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." ~Gene Fowler
In contrast:
"I am...attempting to write a book that's too hard for me. I'm telling a story I'm not smart enough to tell. The risk of failure is huge. But I prefer it this way. I'm forced to learn, forced to smarten myself up, forced to wrestle. And if it works, then I'll have written something that is better than I am." ~Shannon Hale

Right now, I have no idea which statement I agree with the most. On one hand you have the pain and tediousness of writing, but on the other you have the eventual joys from going through the struggle.
In the end, however, I suppose one must keep going and write or else we just won't get anywhere. As one of the greatest of poets said... "Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we might win, by fearing to attempt." ~William Shakespeare


Comments